Monday, July 8, 2013

CreativeCrew: Orford

Ready for a new round of CreativeCrew challenges?  This month it's all about Christmas!  The scrapbooking challenge is to do a layout of something on your Christmas wish list.


Pretty sure I've told the hubs at least once that I want a castle for Christmas :)  Not only is this layout of the first castle we visited after we moved to England, it's my first layout of any England pictures!  Can't wait to really dig in and do some more.  If you want to know more about the castle and see all the individual pictures (plus more that didn't make it on the layout), you can check out my other blog here, and you can see pictures of the church here.

The color combo for this layout came together really fast; for some reason I always wanted to use a deep rich red with these castle photos, and the River Rock page base just seemed to bring out the warm tones in the stonework.  Wish it was always that easy for me to pick out colors for scrapbook layouts!

I have a binder of scrapbook layout sketches arranged by the number of photos, and when I work on a layout I like to try out different arrangements of pictures and page elements until I find one I like.  Since I'm not wasting film in the camera, I take pictures of the different layouts until I pick one I like.


This was the first one I liked, but then I remembered I've used that sketch at least three times.  Actually I did use it again in another album, so I try to only use that sketch once per album because I'm pretty sure it's my favorite layout sketch EVER.  But I wanted to do something different this time.


Lucky for me, I found my sketch after only two tries.  So there's what I started with, before I added the DSP and photo mats to get the finished product above.  I really wanted to use that DSP with the Artistic Etchings motif on both pages, but alas, I didn't have even a full page of it so I had to use a different pattern on the left page.  That's why I stamped the bit from Artistic Etchings on the left page, to carry the motif over to the other side.  So there's a little peek into the mind of Christy when I scrapbook :)

My goal for this year is to do 100 scrapbook pages (so, 50 two-page spreads) not counting baby books, and this layout brings me to 14 pages.  Ugh.  If I *did* count the baby book pages, I'd be over 80.  Oh well, I'll keep on keepin' on and I'll get there someday!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Morning Post Alphabet, Artistic Etchings
Ink:  Cherry Cobbler, Basic Gray marker
Paper:  River Rock, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla, retired Cherry Cobbler DSP
Accessories:  SAMJ

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I'd say your color combo nailed it!