Thursday, May 24, 2018

An Experiment in Navy

Hey y'all!  Do you ever sit down to make something and then you just can't think what to do?  I had that happen yesterday.  I'd put Ryan down for a nap after we got back from Target, but he was refusing to go back to sleep (curse you car naps!) and there I was, trying to steal like 15 minutes to make a card and my mind was a blank.

Then I thought about this card that I saw yesterday morning (someone had posted a question about it on the demo-only forums on Splitcoast) and finally (finally!) an idea struck me.  So here's what I made.


So on her card linked above, Elizabeth stamped on colored cardstock with Whisper White ink, then stamped over it with a color (same stamp).  So I thought I'd try it.  I stamped the base of the flowers in white, then over-stamped with Flirty Flamingo; the flower petal detail was done in white and then Berry Burst so it's got a bit of colorful dimension to it (this card was hard to photograph).  The centers are done with white and then Blackberry Bliss.  The ferns are Night of Navy, stamped off once, and a few little white dots just for interest.

The color combination came from Sunday Stamps


The closest I could get that palette to SU! colors was Blackberry Bliss, Berry Burst, Flirty Flamingo, Island Indigo (didn't use that one), and Night of Navy.  The colors on my card came across a lot more muted but I don't know, I kind of like it?  I used the sympathy stamp from Rose Wonder just because you can never have too many sympathy cards in your stash, and it fit well in the space I'd left next to the flowers.  I lined the inside of the card with Whisper White so if/when this gets sent out, the recipient will be able to read the message inside.

I'm also entering this in the Paper Players challenge again:


For some reason the card doesn't look really CAS to me, maybe because the flowers take up the majority of the space on the card front, but really it's a one-layer card except for the sentiment.  Maybe it would look more CAS to me if I'd done it on a white card base, but I wanted to experiment!

That's it for me today.  Cheers, y'all!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Painted Harvest, Rose Wonder
Ink:  Whisper White, Blackberry Bliss, Berry Burst, Flirty Flamingo, Night of Navy
Paper:  Whisper White, Night of Navy
Accessories:  Stitched Shapes Framelits, Dimensionals

6 comments:

CCsMom said...

I do like how this turned out, Kik. It's very nice and the navy background is good. That's one of my favorite colors. I would have never thought to lay down WHITE first and then another color on top, but it sure makes the colors pop on the dark background. Good thing to take note of.

We were laughing at your texts last night about the hand clapping and stuff along with the other "achievement". So funny. Ryan is definitely a BOY.

Heather said...

Oh, this is so beautiful - I love the colors on the darker background - and now I totally want to try this stamping color over white craft - it looks gorgeous! You chose a great stamp set for this effect! Thanks so much for playing at Sunday Stamps!

Annie S. said...

I think the darker cardstock really makes this technique pop! It's a beautiful effect with the stamping over white ink! Thanks for playing along over at The Paper Players this week!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

A great CAS card Christy that proves your 'white space' doesn't need to be white to be CAS. I'm glad you had fun experimenting - that's what it's all about. Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players this week!

Monika Reeck said...

LOve the effect on that darker background looks fantastic
and beautiful font of the sentiment too
lovely use our color combo
many thanks for playing along with us at Sunday Stamps this time
hugs
Monika

Kampin' Karen said...

This is just gorgeous. I have to try your technique. TFS.